Project52 officially started on New Year’s day down at Figgate Park for Portobello Parkrun. Surrounded by 300+ others, 6 of which were friends donning the project t-shirts, we embarked on 5km around the park. It was a balmy 14deg so a very pleasant start to the challenge and great fun to do it with other friends and family supporting (even my mum and dad were volunteering!).
The most special part of the event was that 3 friends were doing their 1st parkrun, 2 were returning to running after a long layoff and my brother even got up and ran 5km while he was away on his holidays to support me virtually! After not completing a parkrun in a long time it was great to be back and got me excited for completing at least 11 different ones throughout the challenge. I also hope to get involved in some of my local Junior park runs and encourage more children into physical activity.
The fundraising page has really started to build over the past week which is amazing to see and I’m excited to see the final figure I can raise for a great cause, Youth Sport Trust. If you want to read more about why YST then check out my previous blog.
Next week sees me taking on UK Running events “Resolution run” which is a 15km trail race in Staunton Country Park. It’ll be great to get my weekly long run in as part on an event and help keep the miles ticking over. Aim to take it nice and steady with Tom and enjoy the adventure.
- Event Difficulty 1/5 Close to a 2/5 but only due to the amount of food I consumed the night before!!
- Event Goodies 1/5 Free event (cheap Scotsman alert)
- Company 4/5 only knocked off a mark as Taittie (who’d travelled all the way from Canada for the event 😜 had to isolate)
- Eye Candy 2/5 Tidy wee park, mates babies and K9s brought the score up.
- Event Scran 0/5 Note to self…..take own snacks to Parkruns!!
1 down…..51 to go.